View Single Post
Old 03-31-2008, 12:57 AM
Ubercoach

WRX STi wheels and new tires

After a lengthy search and being outbid on eBay a couple of times, I finally was able to buy a used set of WRX STi wheels in really nice condition at a good price. Had a set of Yokohama Avid H4S 225/45 17 installed and I am extremely pleased. I had been sporting a set of the 16x8 RX7 wheels w/Pirelli P Zero Nero M+S tires, 225/50 16. The Pirelli's are excellent in the rain, provide superb traction and are pretty quiet. In spite of having a smaller sidewall the Yoko's ride a smidgen better and are even quieter. Turn in is also a bit quicker, a combination of the 17" configuration and the slightly less tractive compound on the Yokos? The Yokos are a 500AAA wear rated tire as opposed to the more performance oriented Pirellis, which are 400AA rated. The Pirellis are Z rated, for very high speed operation and are an ultra high performance all weather tire. The Yokos are only H rated and a harder compound, hence a much higher wear rating. I live in San Diego where we get little rain much less hard rain. If you live in an area where you've got hard rain and / or snow I'd go with the Pirelli. But for the money the Yokohoma Avid H4S is an excellent tire that rides well, is quiet and should last at least 35- 40,000 miles, even on an SVX.