View Single Post
Old 03-12-2008, 09:51 PM
AWD..... NOTHING COMES CLOSE

Send a message via AIM to SubaruSVXCrazy
Quote:
Originally Posted by svxistentialist View Post
Phil, I have disagreed with this view before, with Harvey if I remember correctly.

From reading all the information available in the WSMs and in different articles published it is my opinion that there are only TWO different shift reference maps in the TCU software, Power map and Normal map. Other driving "modes" that we know about use variants of the two primary shift maps.

This is how I see the differences:

1)Normal Shift Map:
This map is tuned for economy and quietness. Shifts happen at low revs to take advantage of the high torque engine and to get the car as soon as possible into D4 range for quiet and economical low revs driving.

Lock-up is available, for economy reasons.

Kick down is available, but reluctantly; the map is tuned to hold higher gears, even for overtaking, unless it sees very fast movement from the TPS or WOT.

2)Power Shift Map:
Power shift map is tuned for overtaking and hill climbing.

It holds lower gears for longer.

It will kick-down more readily for less throttle movement.

Lock-up of the torque convertor is not available.

Power Mode on-demand:
This mode does actually use a reference map to measure variables such as road speed, range engaged and throttle opening speed, but is not a shift map per se.

It uses the data to toggle the shift maps between Normal and Power.

Standard running mode will be with the economy tuned Normal shift patterns engaged.

At lower speeds and higher throttle demands the higher-revving and torque convertor aided Power shift map will be engaged.

Once fast throttle change or WOT condition has ended, i.e. steady throttle is used, the gearbox drops back from Power to Normal inside 3 seconds.

Economy Mode:
This mode is a variant of the Normal shift map. It switches off Power-on-demand and does not allow any access to the Power shift map.

Driving with ECON engaged will always use the Normal shift map, which is economy tuned.

Manual Mode:
This mode is a variant of the Normal shift map also. It uses the same shift parameters as the economy tuned Normal map.

The only difference is it locks out 1 Range and will always start in 2 Range. This is to avoid wheelspin in muddy or slippery conditions. Manual applies to 2, 3 and D.

Cruise Control:
This mode uses the Normal shift map so that the lock-up feature is available while cruise is engaged. For this reason it can't use the Power map.

It is erroneous to be thinking of shift maps for Cruise anyway, as it is a steady speed control device and will not use shifts. However, for the sake of completeness, while cruise is engaged the TCU is operating the Normal map so that Lock-up is available.
----------------------------
As I said, this is my opinion, but it's based on reading anything I could find available in the technical manuals. If anybody thinks there are other factors at play, other shift maps, please fell free to contradict.

But do explain why, and where the information came from.

Joe
Would it be safe to say, most of this crap is basically an early SI Drive?

Another question. Is the usdm instrument cluster the identical one used for the jdm cluster? (Besides the KPM and odometers, etc.) Another words does it still have stuff like 4WS letters in it, if it could be aluminated?
1992 Subaru SVX LS-L #5045 Dark Teal
1992 Subaru Loyale Wagon Gray (SOLD)
1999 Subaru Impreza 2.5RS Coupe Black Ruby (SOLD)
1969 Subaru 360 Deluxe Ivory White
2005 Subaru Impreza WRX STi World Rally Blue
1993 Subaru Legacy L Wagon Teal Metallic (SOLD)
1998 Subaru Impreza 2.5RS Coupe Rally Blue Pearl

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]