View Single Post
Old 03-07-2008, 11:18 AM
Making tires round, Six now :)

Yeah even Subaru does NOT press the rear bearing onthe Forester any more. This has the same bearing I think as the SVX and the same problem. The SVX bearings do not have a solid inner ring. There is an axial space between the two inner races. So when the press is used there nothing to stop the inner races other then the rollers pressing into the outer race. This puts a lot of load into the rollers when a press is used. It make sense to me. There are people that have had replaced rear bearings three or more times in baout two years.

If you can get this done on the SVX without removal of the hubs you will be ahead of what else you might need in parts as compared to if you take it all off. You will need realignment when done beside other parts that might break. The ABS sensor is high on that list and expensive.

The too much preload from a press was obvious to me when I got some used ones andtried to spin the hub. Oh my goodness was it hard to turn.

The grease inthe bearing is old and just used for shipment. Well that is the story. I agree it may have been in there for 10 years and that is no good. I say clean it out and get some new stuff.

Take care of the SVX,

John