Thread: 285 whp!
View Single Post
Old 02-14-2008, 10:37 AM
Official AutoX Part Breaker
Subaru Gold Contributor

Registered SVX
Quote:
Originally Posted by Trevor View Post
IMHO someone must set up a static engine and brake, so as to carry out proper before and after testing as changes are made. Wheel dynos are to remote from the project and conditions vary from one day to the next.

The problem is to jerry up some form of brake, i.e. a machine which can absorb power. A fire pump motor is an option, pumping against a jet. A lot of heat will have to be dissipated but a large tank could suffice. It is the sort of set up which requires a rural sort of site, with a shed and plenty of outside space. Shade tree stuff.

The principle is that the pump/brake is mounted so as to be able to rotate freely against a weighted lever. Lever length and weight, provide a means of balancing the load and exactly measuring torque in lbs ft. Obviously HP can be computed with a figure for RPM.

Best of all and the real oil, is a dynamo or alternator capable of handling the power on hand, together with a resistance bank. Anybody on the net in the junk machinery business? Has anyone come across a home built set up which could be copied?
Trevor,
I couldn't agree with you more. I believe Boxer6 is working on setting up such an engine dyno at his shop. This is yet another reason why I said that that next year should be eye opening.
-Bill

Most famous NASA "Child" - OSIRIS-REx delivered samples from asteroid BENNU to Earth in Sept. 2023

Center Network Member #989

'92 Fully caged, 5 speed, waiting for its fully built EG33
'92 "Test Mule", 4:44 Auto, JDM 4:44 Rear Diff with Mech LSD, Tuned headers, Full one-off suspension
'92(?) Laguna, 6 spd and other stuff (still at OT's place)
My Locker