View Single Post
Old 12-04-2007, 09:27 AM
Official AutoX Part Breaker
Subaru Gold Contributor

Registered SVX
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jefus View Post
Ok here is my cam story.

First a list of other mods i have going with them.
-2002 WRX 5-Speed Manual Tranny
-2002 WRX Rear Diff.
-ACT Stage 2 Flywheel
-ACT Lightened Flywheel
-Sti Group N Engine and Pitch Mounts
-Sti Group N Tranny Mount
-Ecutune Stage 2 Chip
-Z32 MAF
-Walbro 255 Fuel Pump
-2.5" Exhaust W/High Flow Cat.and 80 Series Flowmaster Muffler
-Cold Air Intake
-ECU Tune Performance Intake and Exhaust Cams
-ECU Tune Performance Valves and Springs
-Lightweight Underdrive Pully
still got the sr20det injectors coming

Now for the install story.
I was able to do most of the install in my garage. Did have to take the heads to a shop to get cleaned up and get the valves installed. After that I put everything back together, but make sure that you are very careful when installing the cams. Do not force them they should go in smoothly and when shipping cams pack them like fine china. Dropping the engine in the car is the best part. And watch the radiator, I know have a new shiny one.

Ok First run.
I took it for a drive and was getting dizzy from the speed. I had also been driving around my 84 Brat (70HP), so that was a huge change. But even then I new it was faster. I was burning oil on startup but that was a earlier issue with the car.

Driving
I have been driving it for about 2 months now and she is running great. Went to a car show up in North Carolina (I'm in Myrtle Beach, SC) and the trip was mostly great. I did through the timing belt 6 miles from the show but was able to fix it on the side of the road. I was my fault the timing belt came off because two of the idler pulleys were not torqued right.

Now for the fun stuff
Went to Darlington Dragstrip about 3 weeks ago. Temp was about high 40s and night. Here are the numbers.

R/T .394
60 2.169
330 6.169
1/8 9.525
MPH 75.15
1/4 14.782
MPH 94.28

This is about what I though I would run. I still go to get the injectors in and stop the oil from coming up the intake and I will be able to get quicker. The thing that sucked the most is the civics I went with were beating me. I think that the fastest one was 14.4

Now for the auto-x (also I installed Koni yellows and GC coils on street tires)
I ran in SM and got a best of 38.425. that dose not mean much but for some comparison. My friend has a tuned and modded Evo MR with r compounds and I was one second behind him. Also my friend was co-driving and he said that the car is definitely a lot faster then it was. He said that it is faster then his 2000 RS that has exhaust, intake, heads, and other upgrades.

The thing that is funny about the cams is the power band. It reminds me of my old turbo cavalier. You feel it but the higher the RPMs the more power. It troughs you back in the seat harder and harder. I would love to see a dyno of this because it is just so fun to drive.

Oh on the high way MPG were 21 and around town 19 the same as I was getting before the install. On the auto-x course I went through a 1/4 tank in 10 runs at about 40 sec each.

Jeff,
Nice! Couple of questions and comments:
1. how many miles are on the engine?
2. when was the last time the PCV was replaced? (could be the cause of the oil back in the intake)
3. what version of the stage 2 chip are you running, .5 or .6? (.7 being the version that needs the replacement injectors)
4. You should be able to get your 60 ft time down to 2.0 or lower with the 5 spd -- you might want to PM TOMSSVX to ask how he's been launching his 6 spd.
5. Do you have the stock exhaust up to the highflow cat? (i.e. the 2.5" is only aft of the highflow cat)
6. How many seconds were you behind the EVO in the autoX?
-Bill

Most famous NASA "Child" - OSIRIS-REx delivered samples from asteroid BENNU to Earth in Sept. 2023

Center Network Member #989

'92 Fully caged, 5 speed, waiting for its fully built EG33
'92 "Test Mule", 4:44 Auto, JDM 4:44 Rear Diff with Mech LSD, Tuned headers, Full one-off suspension
'92(?) Laguna, 6 spd and other stuff (still at OT's place)
My Locker