View Single Post
Old 01-25-2008, 02:00 PM

The tranny shop etc.

Hi,
Trevor, thanks for chiming in. Yesterday, when I wrote that post, I was not in the best or most coherent of moods. The guy from the shop is very talkative but not too communicative, if you understand. And this was over the phone, because it has been raining hard here (yes, in Southern California) for three days straight now. In addition, I was in a state of depression wondering how to pay for $2K + transmission work. ( I was hoping that I could stave off major problems until after the car was paid off.)
Anyway, he said the pump was bad. He said the filter and/or cooler line in the radiator was plugged, thus burning out pump and clutch pack from insufficient lubrication. I am beginning to think this is strange, because the radiator, with minimal but built-in tranny cooler, was replaced by the PO around the time the 3rd gear clutch was replaced last June.
The third gear clutch was replaced at 151800 miles. I brought the car here, about 150 miles, and at 152399 miles I had the transmission flushed, just to have a fresh start. I had the fluid drained and refilled at the next service, 155495 miles. So there was clean, fresh fluid and a working factory cooler in the system.
So, yes, gl1674, they do now have the car, and I'm stuck. AND, he also said that the front diff is bad and I need to replace it as well, even though I heard no strange noises and the car ran smoothly up until the gears quit. He also says that he cannot find a front diff. I told him I would look on the net for a good one.
I feel as if I am over a barrel. Even in the rain, I'm going to go over today and look at what he says is the damage. Then perhaps it's time for negotiations.
Thanks for the input.
Paul
'93 Mercury (Aussie) Capri