View Single Post
Old 12-21-2007, 09:53 PM

Registered SVX
I have always been a sceptic on the basis of doubt concerning advertising hot air, brand name, and resultant price, verses quality. In respect of oil experience many years ago confirms suspicion.

Some fifty years ago on an absolutely tight budget, I raced a sports car which was retro fitted with a good old flat head Ford V8. No oil cooling was incorporated and at the end of a race the dip stick did not register until things cooled down. The poor old mill was very, very hard pressed but hung in there.

Because of lack of funds I used the cheapest oil available, i.e. reclaimed oil at half normal price. However the old chemist who ran the very basic refinery set up, added to the brew, at slightly extra cost, colloidal graphite. This was a fine graphite powder which remained in suspension under all circumstances. Many of the cities taxis used this same brew and I am sure that it was something else.

In those days full flow filters were not common and I was never able to ascertain whether the graphite would pass a filter without a problem. Whatever, the small plant shut down and that was that. I know that organisations running large fleets of vehicles, used the same sort of plant to recycle oil with success. Does anyone know if this is still occurring?

As a child, on cold mornings I gladly stood in cowpats to warm my bare feet, but I detest bull$hit!