View Single Post
Old 08-05-2002, 02:09 PM
I abuse them one at a time

Location: Northbrook, Illinois, USA, Earth, Solar System... you get the picture
Send a message via AIM to Seraph Send a message via Skype™ to Seraph
Quote:
Originally posted by Aredubjay

Oh, one more MAJOR thing. The gas guage is not accurate (this is driving me to distraction). I will register full after the tank has been filled. Once the level hits . . . say . . . the top slash of the slashes, it drops like a stone -- zero signal. THEN, when it hits just over half a tank, it kicks in again. But, when it gets to the "half tank" slash, BAM -- dead again . . . until, it hits a quarter tank. It then, ressurects until just below a quarter and dies again. THIS IS NUTS!!! I'd love any suggestions on how to correct this problem (easily and ASAP). I hate having to depend on resetting the trip meter at every fuel stop.
Well, the reason why that is doing that is because someone took out the fuel gauge from the back (out of the whole gauge cluster) and screw it back in again (and messed up the teeth of the screws, thus the contact for powering the unit is not touching to the right poles all the time. There could be a quick fix. Take the whole unit out again and wrap a small sheet of foil (yeah from the kitchen) and rescrew it and see if it is ok. Otherwise, it's a 120 USD part from the dealer. My red 94 did that after I screwed up the screw.

Another reason is that you have a short somewhere in the car. Also on the red car, when I hit the brake and the lights goes off, the needle falls and stays at "E" till I hit a bump and it climbs back up.

Lwin
Previous SVXes: •1994 LE Barcelona Red 107k • 1992 LS-L Pearl White 143k • 1994 LSi Bordeaux Pearl 220k • 1992 LS-L Ebony Pearl 184k • 1992 LS-L Liquid Silver 145k • 1992 LS-L Liquid Silver 102k • 1992 LS-L Ebony Pearl 123k
Other current cars:2001 Jeep Grand Cherokee Black
If at first you don't succeed, CHEAT!

Last edited by Seraph; 08-05-2002 at 02:11 PM.