Thread: Fuel Pump help
View Single Post
Old 12-03-2007, 03:16 PM

Send a message via AIM to Scott
Ok, so after tooling around on the car today, here's an update. I decided to take someone's advice and see if i can get the car to run with an accelerant sprayed into the intake. I grabbed my bottle of carb/intake cleaner, had my girlfriend crank the car, and I sprayed it directly into the intake pipe...

...and...

Huzzah! The beast fired right up. And it stayed running until I stopped spraying the carb cleaner into the pipe.

Then I checked some lines. The fuel line going into the FPR was bone dry. Obviously, fuel is not getting from the tank to the engine. So next I folded down the rear seat and lifted the carpet. Tried to listen for any signs of life from the pump, and nothing. Combined with the fact of how the car stopped running suddenly and without warning (and no CEL before the breakdown), and at this point, I am fairly certain that the fuel pump is the culprit.

So, I went to work. Firstly, I figured i could get the pump out through the port inside the car. Got the port opened, all the windows down, trunk and sunroof open, tank vented, the cover taken off, and got to the pump itself. But now it seems to be attached to an entire assembly, and I can't figure out for the life of me, how to get the damn thing out.

Now, I need a little help before I just say screw it and take it to a mechanic. Is there a physical way to get the entire assembly out? I see some plastic tabs, but they don't seem to let loose. If I can't get it out through the port, how much trouble is it going to be to just drop the tank?

Thanks again for all your continued help. I never would have even gotten this far without this forum!

Sold: 1992 Subaru SVX LS-L - Pearl White/Black

Last edited by Scott; 12-03-2007 at 03:20 PM.