View Single Post
Old 11-19-2007, 02:39 PM

cam position sensor!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ricochet View Post
I have a 1992. While accelerating in any gear, any rpm, I'll sometimes get a really bad hesitation as if the engine is locking up or I'm slamming on the brakes. I just changed the plugs and all the coil packs look fine. I just sea foamed, replaced the air and fuel filters, replaced the maf, and it still hesitates. It used to have an automatic transmission but I did a 5-speed swap (2004 Impreza), still hesitates so I've ruled out the tranny.

Anybody have some ideas? There is a cel on but it's for some egr stuff. My car also loses horsepower at higher rpms, falls flat on its face.. that's probably egr-related but I'm more worried about the hesitations than power right now.
That sounds exactly like the problem I had. At first, I thought it was MAF too. My problem turned out to be the cam position sensor (attached to the driver's side valve cover area across from the battery).

My symptoms (while accelerating)
- fell flat on its face at higher RPM's - this happened for about a year before the next two symptoms which occured within a two week period. No CEL of any kind.
- violent hesitation - the motor would totally lose power for second and then gain it back - almost like a bad fusible link that shorting against the frame. I'm pretty sure this led to one of my motor mounts tearing in two.
- bad miss (ultimately blew out the main converter) - this got progressively bad on my way home from work one day that by the end of my commute, the car wouldn't rev past 1800 RPM in any gear (with the gas pedal floored). Finally got a CEL, and it indicaated the cam position sensor. Don't wait until it gets this bad - change it now. You can get them new from Oreilley's for $150 or so or get one used.

My fix - $40 and one used cam position sensor from Budfreak (before his demise) later and the problem went away. Took me ten minutes to change it out. I removed the battery to make it a bit easier.

Hope this helps.