Thread: Svx Nightmare!
View Single Post
Old 10-08-2007, 12:46 AM
Graphic Artist

Well, that depends on how much work you do. The radiator is yours for 60 bucks. The transmission could be another ballgame depending on labor. Like I mentioned in the previous post, you are most likely looking at removing, repairing, and reinstalling the transmission. If you are wanting to stay with your current gear ratio, and have a shop do all the work, you are looking what probably amounts to ~6-800 in labor, you'll also want to be sure to install an after market transmission cooler. My guess is if you replace with used parts, you are looking at a total ~1000-1200 bill for everything.

My recommendation (and I am certainly not the only person on the board with an opinion) would be that you spring a few hundred more and move to a different gear ratio. 4.11 and 4.44 gears go along way to increasing transmission life.

Stock SVX transmissions are simply geared to low, and generate to much heat. There are more than a few members here on thier 3rd or 4rth transmission, this problem is seems to be mitigated by switching to a lower gear ratio.

I know I'm getting long winded here, so I'll get along to my final point. Once you have spent the money, you'll be sitting in a very reliable car. That seems to be the mantra of the SVX, you can do it right once, or do it almost right over and over, ad nauseum.

To summerize.
It is likely your transmission is just fine, the deciding factor is going to be wheather or not any of the shards from your front diffential grenading have penetrated the seal between the transmission and differential. Its not likely, but stranger things have happened.

The cost difference between fixing your car to its pre-breakdown state and better than before is not large (additional costs include buying a used rear differential from a junkyard ($50-100) to match the front, and paying someone to swap the guts into your old differential.)

There are a lot of people here with a wealth of knowledge, and I'm sure they'll chime in here and moment.

-Patrick

1995 Ebony Pearl. S.N. 0001 "Araby"

JDM Power Mode Switch, Integrated GPS/Video Player
6Xk Miles.

1992 Teal - Sold to Mysvxrocks
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Last edited by nextse7en; 10-08-2007 at 12:47 AM. Reason: Jack Daniels Spelling.