View Single Post
Old 09-25-2007, 11:36 PM
Still rebuilding my block...
Alcyone Silver Contributor

Send a message via AIM to cozykat Send a message via MSN to cozykat Send a message via Yahoo to cozykat
Significant Technical Input Registered SVX
Following John, I have sanded, filled in, and painted my center caps.
I used a Bondo Repair Kit (which is a polyester resin) to fill in the "subaru" on my center caps.
Since I couldn't find the Burnished Silver or Plasti-Kote Import Color paint code Datsun John recommended, I used my fairly new (5 year old) center cap to color match the silver (deciding on Dupli-Color T191 Ultra Silver). I Sanded, Filled, Painted and then followed with several layers of clear.
They ended up being an almost exact match to the original cap. The funny part was that when I put them on my SVX.. they were all lighter than the rim! (Including the original which I never noticed until then. ) I live with it as painted caps look much better than the faded mess they were before. My next plan is to add the SVX logo like John has.. I have the logos but I need the weather & time to be my friend again so I can apply the stickers and then put more clear coat for protection.

side note: I put the SVX logo on my painted calipers. I think it looks neat while serving no real purpose and will probably never be noticed by anyone but me...
Attached Images
File Type: jpg newCaps.jpg (263.6 KB, 245 views)
File Type: jpg newCalipers.jpg (263.7 KB, 270 views)
File Type: jpg 20070904_closeup.jpg (251.0 KB, 264 views)

'93 LSL Anniversary Edition - 02/93 - 150,998 Daily Driver - Forged EG33 (long block), 6MT swap, and re-upholstered interior
'92 Pearl - 100k Side restoration project
Locker | Old Locker | Shutterfly | ReadingIX | Facebook | Instagram