View Single Post
Old 09-25-2007, 09:20 PM
Takin tools to task

Send a message via MSN to NikFu S.
Registered SVX
Quote:
Originally Posted by sicksubie View Post
Maybe certain cars should be classified as performance cars and require a different license. A license that requires special classes where they learn how to handle power at the wheels.

Now I will play my own devil's advocate. A "performance" license may give some drivers the feeling of invisibility and only increase their self confidence in driving fast
I agree on both fronts. A performance liscense will keep slow thinkers away from high powered vehicles.
However, the people often attracted to high powered vehicles are speed addicts and adrenaline junkies, so it would have little effect on whom buys what.
It also might instill a sense of "I'm better than you" ego boost in the same type of people likely to drive recklessly and cause an accident.

One solution is to require an extensive auto maintenance and road safety program to obtain such a liscence, maybe combined with rewards for completing the program like discounts for track days, insurance plans, etc.

Offenders would have to lose their perf liscence and be demoted at least temporarily per offense. (:

'92 Dark Teal SVX LS-L, >146,000m
3 pedals, 5 speeds., restoration underway.
2012 Honda Insight, slow but cute.