View Single Post
Old 09-25-2007, 07:17 PM
Takin tools to task

Send a message via MSN to NikFu S.
Registered SVX
You know what they say about hindsight. I have no sympathy here. I have done many dangerous things that I may or may not regret, and I have learned not to do dangerous things (as much), but if you can't see an accident coming you have no business being behind a wheel.

Today I was in a rather interesting position, driving my work truck along a winding 2 lane backroad, in heavy rain. A HUGE semi pulling a trailer was speeding (for the conditions, as was I) around a bend, veering widely into my lane. Had I been 3 seconds earlier I believe there would be a high potential for me to be crushed in a crumply white tin box in a ditch right now. I understand the semi needs a great deal of space so my reaction was to pull right just slightly to near-miss him by about 3 or 4 feet, about 3 or 4 feet away from woody ditch on my right. A hard brake could have caused me to lose control completely. My point is, some people are cut out to make split-second life-altering decisions at high speed, some people are not.
It is important to find out if you are before you attempt to operate a vehicle at any one of it's many limits.

Later on down that very road I was not surprised to find a small car nose first and crumpled in that winding ditch, and now the season of ice is soon upon us. Accidents are on the rise, and my life as a driver is on the line yet again. How exciting.

'92 Dark Teal SVX LS-L, >146,000m
3 pedals, 5 speeds., restoration underway.
2012 Honda Insight, slow but cute.

Last edited by NikFu S.; 09-25-2007 at 07:19 PM.