View Single Post
Old 09-19-2007, 05:48 PM

Registered SVX
Quote:
Originally Posted by TomsSVX View Post
To be honest trevor, I don't see the stocker really doing much along the lines of dampening vibrations. I have been running an undersized pulley for my S/C for quite some time now with the only alternator issue being that sometimes it likes to get torn off the car Either way... the only upside to an underdrive pulley would be that it is a one piece... Other than that any real performance gains cannot be obtain through such simple means

Tom
Tom, this argument has been well and truly thrashed.

It can nor be denied that the OEM pulley incorporates a means of, and is a torsional dampening device. The expense of incorporating same will have been taken into account by Subaru.

I agree that the effects or affect can not be seen, are from obvious and lack of same may not directly cause a problem. But is dispensing with a known advantage warranted? A will disclose some very interesting facts and detail regarding the technology involved.

All accessories driven via a flexible belt comprise an excellent means of absorbing torsional vibration and a supercharger will add to the affect. I would not suggest such a load should be imposed on the OEM pulley and you have no alternative option.

As a matter of interest I ran up against the lengths designers go to in respect of torsional vibration when I built my first car for competition, over fifty years ago. The Fiat engine had the generator flexibly coupled directly to the front of the crankshaft. The fan was fitted directly to the overhead crankshaft, chain driven at the rear end, via cone clutch sort of slipping hub. This set up was beautifully neat and tidy, but belt drives are superior.

Sincerely, I would love to have the opportunity to talk engine design, etc., etc., Tom/Tom/Trevor, over e beer or two.

Cheers, Trevor.

As a child, on cold mornings I gladly stood in cowpats to warm my bare feet, but I detest bull$hit!