View Single Post
Old 09-19-2007, 04:03 AM
Phil & Belha

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nomake Wan View Post
Please instruct me further! A way for us to talk in real-time would be preferred. The setup is already in the car, I've got wires run through the window so the laptop can be powered and the doors can be closed during the process. Keep in mind that I'm using a USB-to-Serial adapter. I'm not sure if that Knoppix disc has a driver for it.

But I'm ready to dump my ECU! Instruct me, master!
OK. First step is to see if your laptop will boot into Knoppix. Make sure your USB/serial thingy is plugged in before booting so that it loads the driver (if it has one).

Try to boot from the CD and see what happens. Usually you can just hit enter at the linux boot prompt, but sometimes laptops can be picky:

On my compaq laptop, I have to type "knoppix26 nodma" at the boot prompt, otherwise the mouse doesn't work. On my dell laptop, I have to type "knoppix26 atapicd", otherwise it fails to boot because it can't find a driver for the CDROM. If you do run into problems, the error message should give you a clue why and there is a list of the codes to try at http://www.knoppix.net/wiki/Cheat_Codes

You need to extract the files from the attached zip onto a floppy disk. This is my ecudump software.

Once knoppix has loaded, you need to open a terminal window. Doubleclick on the icon that looks like a computer terminal.

Then you need to run the following commands, Incase you haven't used a unix shell before, I'll explain what the commands mean in brackets afer each one, don't type what is in the brackets.
Code:
su -         (switch from knoppix user to root user, to increase your access privileges)
cd ~knoppix          (go to the home folder of the knoppix user)
mcopy a:           (copy all the files from the msdos floppy disk to the current folder)
ls -l                   (show the list of files in the current folder)
chmod +x ecudump         (give execute permission to the ecudump program)
./ecudump -s 8000 -e FFFF -f ecu.dat       (download the ECU rom from address 8000 to FFFF into a file called ecu.dat)
ls -l        (There should be a file called ecu.dat 32768 bytes in size)
mcopy ecu.dat a:       (copy the ecu.dat file to the floppy)
Then email me the ecu.dat file and I'll be happy. (Then I'll start chasing you for a TCU dump )

Phil.
1994 Alcyone SVX S40-II
2004 Subaru Legacy 2.5 SE Sports Tourer
1996 Subaru Legacy 2.2 GX Wagon
1988 Subaru Justy J12 SL-II