View Single Post
Old 09-18-2007, 11:16 AM
Phil & Belha

More on baud rates and stuff

I modified my software to frig the ECU's binary mode baud rate to 4808 before downloading from the ECU. The results were somewhat interesting. My original code took 24 seconds to query 256 addresses. The modified code took.........24 seconds.

Looking at the code it seems I was somewhat naive to expect that simply increasing the baud rate would increase the rate of logging from the ECU. The comms routine is polled using a timer.

To try and explain what is happening, let me try a bad analogy. Imaging the ECU is a guy putting boxes of data on a conveyor belt. Imagine the laptop is another guy taking them off at the other end. The laptop guy works on demand, every time a box arrives, he grabs it. The ECU guy works by the clock, he puts a box on the conveyor every minute. What I have done by increasing the baud rate is to make the conveyor belt wider (bandwidth!). The conveyor can shift twice as many boxes per minute and the laptop guy will grab them when they arrive, but it's futile because the ECU guy is still only putting one box per minute on the belt.

In order to increase the logging speed, we would need to reprogram the timer that governs how often the comms routine is executed. Maybe I'm wrong, but I don't think this is possible without burning a new EPROM.

So, in summary, I think we are stuck with 1953 baud binary mode or 4808 baud ASCII mode for data logging.
1994 Alcyone SVX S40-II
2004 Subaru Legacy 2.5 SE Sports Tourer
1996 Subaru Legacy 2.2 GX Wagon
1988 Subaru Justy J12 SL-II

Last edited by b3lha; 09-19-2007 at 04:07 AM.