View Single Post
Old 09-09-2007, 03:25 AM
Jersey Girl
Alcyone Gold Contributor

Send a message via Skype™ to svxistentialist
Registered SVX
Quote:
Originally Posted by subi-crosser View Post
Today, we attended the Memorial service for a guy that was my 'lab partner' when I was in college in the 70's and the best friend a guy could have for the next 30 years.
He and I cried together when my first born passed in '77', but the ones that came after were there with husbands and children. The girls all knew him. Amber hauled her family 165 miles to be there.

I had a wife, 3 daughters, 2 sons-in-law and 5 grandchildren walk in with me, so I guess that shows how good a friend he was!

They opened the service with " I'll Fly Away" and wanted the 'attendees' to sing too. ( I croaked out a few notes)

I later told the Preacher that " The last 10 times I sang that song, Steve was pl;aying lead guitar and I was following".

2 years ago, I was helping daughter # 1 put a new roof on her house and the only one that came out to help was Steve. He worked with us for about 5 hours, but had to leave so he could go to his fathers funeral. ( we went too).

Steve had a rough row to hoe. 12 years ago, he was going to work on his motorcycle. An old man pulled out of his driveway, in a 1970 Ford pick-up, about 50 feet from where Steve was moving at 55 MPH. Steve hit the truck on the door hinges, bounced 50 feet behind the point of impact and landed in a ditch.

They had to cut his skull open till the brain quit swelling, etc etc. Months later, he was moving from the wheelchair to a walker, when his wife was hit from behind on her motorcycle and killed.

After he had a few months to get himself back on track, He came back here to help ME with MY problems! Help he did! He cut 105 pine trees down, helped me burn the brush, called the lumber co to buy the logs, helped replace the roof that the trees had ruined, I can't even think of all the ways that he helped me over the years!

Last friday night, he was out with his brother and a few friends. His sister-in-law drove him home. He walked into his basement, had a heart attack,fell against the sink and hit his head where the plate was. He laid there for 3 days before anyone found him. ( he had a history of going off for a few days now and again).....

The worst part is that he was only 48 years old!!!! I'm 55!

You don't have any guarentees! Tell your friends and family how you feel!
It could be your turn next, ( or theirs)

I called SVXfiles today and told him that I had a 'position' open.... 'Best Friend', (He had met Steve and liked him too).

R.I.P. Steven Gregg Myers, You will be missed.
Jerry

Your story tells it all, how close you were to Steven. May he rest in peace.

Your family is obviously very tightly knit to one another and to your good friends. May you all be rewarded for your love and care.

Joe
White X2 RVR Mitsubishi 1800GDI. Vantastic

40,000 miles Jersey Girl