View Single Post
Old 09-05-2007, 11:03 PM
Banned

Send a message via ICQ to Turbone Send a message via AIM to Turbone Send a message via Yahoo to Turbone Send a message via Skype™ to Turbone
Registered SVX
Quote:
Originally Posted by KVRXS View Post
Turbone
An easy way to break the crank bolt loose is to slip a long pipe over the end of a breaker bar and give a quick tap to the starter. Make sure to pad the end of the pipe that will be resting on the edge of the engine compartment. A rolled up blanket should be sufficient. The engine cranks clockwise, so the pipe will rest on the driver's side.
I just had to perform the same service on my car. Taking my time took a couple of evenings. There's still time. Good luck.
Oh; by the way, don't use the flywheel lock while doing the above procedure.
Hope to see you at the drive.
Mark
I neglected to mention that I have owned almost 30 Subaru's, all of them from the 80's. I have done multiple belt changes and have used the starter bump method on every one of them. I have never come across a bolt this tight yet.
But I won the battle today. My arms have more torque than the 3.3 does
I put a bar in the bottom of the flexplate and with the standard breaker bar and pipe (3ft) I broke it loose. Now I need to get some parts ordered.
But another issue has come up. Its another 92 SVX, this one is Teal and suppossedly in good condition. Except for the engine. My Claret is in poor condition body/interior wise but runs well, so you know what I'm thinking. And if its what I want, it will cost me only $400 to pick it up.
But it wont be possible for me to do the swap in the amount of time I have.
I'm already doing a engine on a 91 Mitsu Galant VR4. Fortunatly, this one doesnt belong to me.