View Single Post
Old 09-04-2007, 03:28 AM
Jersey Girl
Alcyone Gold Contributor

Send a message via Skype™ to svxistentialist
Registered SVX
Quote:
Originally Posted by NiftySVX View Post
The replacement of wheel bearings in Subarus has been revisited by the manufacturer many times because they have had so many problems. They no longer approve of the method used in the service manual. The new way to do it involves a SST (special service tool) that all Subaru dealerships were REQUIRED to purchase. The new tool, often called a "hubster" eliminates the need to press the bearing into the knuckle with a press. They determined that this was too delicate a process to be performed and often causes damage to the bearing. this is why they now use the special tool that eliminates the press. A version of this tool is available but it is quite expensive (over $400). Most independent shops will not have this tool because replacing wheel bearings is not very common and that tool can only be used for a few styles of vehicle. For this reason, I always recommend that people have their wheel bearings replaced at a dealership. Oh, and they will check the sealing surface on the axle, to make sure that it is not worn where the seal lip makes contact (I've seen many with a groove worn in them) which will allow debris to enter. If you have them replaced at a shop where they use a press, I can almost promise you will be doing them again.

Just my $0.02
You are working in the trade and see more bulletins and bearing changes than the rest of us, so thanks very much for the input. Replacing a wheel bearing is too costly a process to mess up IMO, so I definitely take a belt and braces approach to try and ensure all angles are covered.

Going back to the Yahoo! years, and here since the Forum opened we have had many, many takes and reasons for the repeat failure of these bearings. My view is that it's not surprising replacements fail, considering so many OEMs fail direct from the factory.

It would be reasonable to presume that the factory has all the benefits of engineering advice on how they should be installed, plus all the right equipment, the right seals, the correct grease.

Yet a higher than desirable percentage of original rear wheel bearings fail.

That says it all for me. The bearings are under performers. They are incorrectly specified from the outset. The load ratings are wrong for the torque and weight and loadings that the SVX exerts on the hub.

One of our members in Australia has used another different bearing from the same manufacturer that has a higher load rating than the SVX rear OEM bearing. It is of a slightly smaller width, so has to be packed to fill the hub aperture. This bearing has performed in the desert for I think over 100,000 miles now with no repeat failure.

There isn't a write up, but if you search the Down Under forum, you should find the story.

Subaru just used the same bearing they had in use for the Impreza at that time, the practice of using from the corporate parts bin to keep costs down. That bearing is inadequate for the SVX.

For those who think that Fuji engineers can do No Wrong, they will seem less like Gods to you when the rear end of your car starts to howl at you for attention.

Joe
White X2 RVR Mitsubishi 1800GDI. Vantastic

40,000 miles Jersey Girl