View Single Post
Old 07-15-2007, 01:04 AM

Registered SVX
Quote:
Originally Posted by rbtlen
My battery went dead so when I went to jumpstart my car I screwed up and hooked it up backwards. I have replaced the fusible link, and checked all the fuses. I installed a new battery and installed it correctly but it still won't start. All the dash lights come on as normal but the car won't turn over. What should I look at next?
!. Exactly what did you do? Connect the battery of another car across yours, but with it connected positive to your car negative and negative to positive? 2. Did the dead battery remain connected during the jump start? 3. Was the fusible link replaced because as a result of the jump start, it was blown/melted?

If the fuse link opened as a result of you applying voltage at reversed polarity, this would indicate that something in line past the link, went solidly to ground. However as the dash lights work OK, it would appear that the short has cleared and was short lived. Alternatively that the short was on an independent circuit. If so and it remains, there should be another blown fuse 4. Exactly what does and does not now work within the complete electrical system?

You say that the car won't turn over. 5. Are you sure that the new battery is fully charged and properly connected. If you turn on the head lights while trying to start the car, do the lights stay reasonably bright, thus indicating a good battery and connections?

These are valid questions which can assist with a positive diagnosis.

P.S. Meantime don't panic and expect the very worst as may be suggested.

As a child, on cold mornings I gladly stood in cowpats to warm my bare feet, but I detest bull$hit!

Last edited by Trevor; 07-15-2007 at 05:09 AM.