View Single Post
Old 03-03-2007, 12:44 AM
Radio wiring harness guru
Subaru Gold Contributor

Significant Technical Input Registered SVX
Here are my questions. Please answer only if you know for sure (preferably because you've verified in your own SVX, or you can point to a thread where someone else said they had). Be sure to mention whether your car is USDM (or has any mods that might affect security system functionality).

1) A Subaru document says that "the electronic control unit must receive five transmitter codes for the system to operate" (up to 5 transmitters one time each, or a smaller number of transmitters pressed multiple times on some or all of them to add up to 5).

Some people's instructions say to enter 4 (a couple of the documents in the How-To area are inconsistent within the same document!).

Does programming only 4 codes work?
Should work, since you can program just 2.

Has anyone tried programming 5 different transmitters?

2) Has anyone tried fewer? One person wrote that when you have just one transmitter, you only need to press its button twice, then you're done. Is that correct?
Yes, programming 2 slots works. But are you required to program at least 2? Or can you enter just 1?

3) At what point does the system forget the previous transmitters --
A) As soon as you successfully enter programming mode (even without storing any transmitters)?
No.

B) After programming the first one?
No.

C) Not until you have reprogrammed (written over) the previous transmitter's slot? (for example, if the old one was in the 3rd slot, does it stay until you program something new into the 3rd slot?)
Yes, this is what's happening. See my post #23.

D) Not until you have reprogrammed all slots?
No. You are not required to enter 5 slots for the programming session to be successful (it's just a smart thing to do, to insure you have erased any potentially bogus codes).
4) One person wrote that to get into programming mode, you need to press the security button 'not too slow and not too fast'. Approximately what rates work? Is twice per second too slow?

5) To turn the system on or off, does the ignition key need to be in the "on" position, or just inserted into the ignition (but not turned), or key not needed at all?

6) The security module has a fuse. Is the value 1 Amp?

7) The instructions say that you can arm the system using the door lock slider or the key in the driver's door. Does the "lock" button on the center console work too?

8) Subaru's instructions also say that after arming the system using the slider or key, the system automatically locks the doors 20 seconds after the last door is closed. Is that correct?

9) If the passenger's door is open, when the driver closes his door, then tries to arm the system with the transmitter, does it arm after the passenger finally closes that door?

If the passenger closes that door without holding up the door handle to keep it locked, does the system lock the doors 20 (or whatever) seconds later?

10) A Subaru document says that the system turns on the dome light when you disarm. Does it really? I'm wondering how, since the module doesn't seem to have a wire for that. Perhaps on 92 and 93s, as a side-effect of unlocking the doors?
Confirmed. All model years. The module triggers the dome light via the door switch "input" pin. See my post #19.

Last edited by SVXdc; 06-02-2009 at 01:12 AM.