View Single Post
Old 02-24-2007, 07:44 PM

Major crank pulley problem!!

Ok, I'm new here so feel free to jump on me if I'm out of line.

I know a couple who have a 92 SVX they are looking to sell. It has been sitting at her father's house for about 1 year because the crank pulley "fell" off. They intended to fix it but don't have the money, time or expertise to complete the job. They are planning to get married and are saving for a house so decided to see if they could sell the car.
I'm the office car guy so they've been asking me to take a look at it but it just never worked out.

Anyway, short story long, I finally drove out to take a look at it today to decide whether I wanted to buy it from them, fix it up and sell/or keep it.

Here are a couple pictures I took:

I'm not very familiar with Subaru's other than I know they have a reputation for reliability and this particular engine makes good HP and was very high tech for it's day.

What do you guys think of this?
Is it just the bolt that broke or is the end of the drive shaft broke as well?
How hard do you think it will be to get that bolt out, will it require pulling the engine?

The car has about 180,000 miles on it and has been in an accident that damaged to front left fender. The frame has not been tweaked, at least I couldn't see any damage to it. The engine started right up and everything seems to work.
What would an SVX in this condition run for price?

ZcarGuy