View Single Post
Old 02-21-2007, 07:30 PM
Thread Killah
Alcyone Gold Contributor

Registered SVX
It is very easy the 2nd time you do it. The first time you learn the tricks.

One pain in the butt is you have to remove the wheel to take the axle nut dust cover off, then put the wheel back on and lower the car to the ground to be able to break the axle nut loose. Then raise the car back up to replace the axle.

You are going to need a very long pipe to go over your socket wrench/breaker bar when you try to loosen that axle nut.

Don't bother with a pickle fork to separate the ball joint. Instead just take off the 3 nut/bolts that hold the entire thing on. It could save you from ripping the dust cover boot.

You'll need a punch or a small allen wrench to push out the pin that holds the axle on to the differential.

The lower suspension arm is spring loaded (or something in there at least that makes it push upwards) Use a long lever bar to push down on it after you loosen the ball joint nuts. I usually use a 4 foot long pipe and push it down and then kneel on it - that way both of my hands are free to pull out on the hub to get it free from the axle. Once you get the hub out of the way the axle will slide right out.

Make sure you use a torque wrench on the axle nut when you put it back on. If you don't torque it properly you could destroy your bearings.

Anyone else have any tips? I'd love to hear them.
92 Ebony LS-L ECUtune Stage2av1, Z32 MAF, 370cc injectors, TomsSVX intake, BontragerWorks 22mm RSB #003, HID Hi and Lo beams, OT endlink and bushing mods, PWR Aluminum radiator, Harvey's QC shift kit, 2.5" flowmaster 80 exhaust, 17" Michelin Pilot Sport A/S, Poly sway bar bushings, Slotted Bradi rotors, AFBeefcake powdercoated calipers, 97 grill, and a huge set of air horns. 300,000 miles and counting
92 Ebony LS-L. ecutune stage1v4, motorsport 1pc pulley. Garage Queen - sold to Dad in upstate NY 155,000 miles
19 Subaru Ascent Premium - -Hers !.
89 DL 4x4 little red wagon - a.k.a. The immortal suby. 275k R.I.P.