View Single Post
Old 02-04-2007, 05:51 PM

Registered SVX
Quote:
Originally Posted by subi-crosser
The 'duty's are so high, that only PARTS are imported. Then the 'in country' auto manufacturers build something 'different' out of the parts. They apply the 'badge' from their company and call cat a dog.

I have pics of a 1970 'Crown', assembled out of Dodge Dart parts, with a different grill and taillights, but they can escape the Confiscatory dutys by building the car out of imported parts. ( instead of the assembled product).
This makes for some very different animals that exist out of, shall we say, the same bloodlines as what we are USED to seeing.

The cars I speak of were built in New Z and Austrailia. Holden is a major player 'Down Under', and has the means to import whatever 'parts' they want to.

I think Trevor can testify here..
Sorry but I have only just picked up on this. The Crown/Dodge is something I have not heard of.

There is much more original manufacture down under than you may appreciate. Holdens in particular are certainly not simply an assembly of imported bits. Sure there is much interhouse trading on the basis of economics which is common world wide, but customs duty is not at the forefront.

There was once a large N.Z., assembly industry brought about by a shortage of overseas exchange, but this has gone by the board. The cars as assembled here were often altered considerably from the original, particularly in the handling department. Kiwis like to drive, rather than pander to looks.

As a child, on cold mornings I gladly stood in cowpats to warm my bare feet, but I detest bull$hit!