Thread: Tranny Chatter
View Single Post
Old 05-18-2001, 05:50 AM
lightning_8669

<<Could something be plugged IN the tranny? >>

In the 92-93 models Subaru put brass mesh in the transmission cooler located in the lower radiator tank. This mesh was intended to create turbulence in the fluid to aid cooling. I'm told it is similar to a kitchen scrubbing pad. Problem is it also acted as a sort of filter, trapping debris from the transmission. Mine was suspected of being nearly clogged so I completely bypassed it. Another alternative, the choice of some members, is to replace the radiator with one from a later model year where the mesh was not used. There are members who argue for stock only coolers and others who advocate secondary coolers mounted in parallel or in series.

My guess is your cooler and/or filter are partially or totally clogged. This may cause reduced flow which could allow contamination inside the trans itself. I'd recommend replacing the filter, and either replacing the radiator (about $500) or bypassing the original trans cooler (about $50).

I used a B&M Racing cooler rated for a vehicle with a gross vehicle weight (GVW) of 24,000lbs. I bought it on line from Jegs for about $50. You could probably shop around for a cheaper one. I mounted mine behind the engine cooling fans because it wouldn't fit out front of the A/C condensor. I don't have hard data on its performance but it seems to work as my trans is still happy.

You could post a request for other member's solutions on the board and get some other ideas, there are a lot of alternate methods for secondary coolers.

JP