View Single Post
Old 12-13-2006, 05:46 AM

Random thoughts:

Astounding that this kid didn't get a lift from the scene in back of the police cruiser. I think driver's licenses should be probationary 'til age 21, and that this fellow should expect to be walking until then.

Somebody suggested that we all drove that fast back in the day. I didn't, and I was as stupid a teen driver as could be.

I disagree that it's possible to safely exceed 100 MPH on public roads. Not on U.S. roads, anyway. I frequent a stretch of winding 4-lane divided highway that can be a blast to drive in the wee hours when traffic is light, but this 20-year old road has no median barrier and not so much as a breakdown lane, so there's little margin for loss-of-control incidents at ANY speed. Good drivers of all ages routinely end-up in the trees. Most American roadways were poorly engineered for 55 MPH, in my opinion.

If you think you can safely drive 100+ in public, you're almost certainly over-estimating your ability and thus constitute a danger to the public. You may be the finest driver on the planet, fine, but the dolt in the next lane isn't, and you have no control over what he or she may do.

We all think we're better drivers than the other guy. Teens don't think this; they know.

dcb