View Single Post
Old 12-03-2006, 02:40 PM
Have a poncho I can borrow?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hose92SVX
Don't ever imply that I like Hitler. I've read both Mienkauf 1, and a biography on Ford and while the books are no longer fresh in my head, I remember that both men were control freaks and had big dreams and did anything to fullfill those dreams. I have a bi-racial son, my two best friends are Jewish, and half Chinese. Aside from that, US car companies have taken chances like Subaru in developing and producing cars that were out of the norm and likely to have low sales. US car companies copy and have been copied from other car manufactures. Look at our beloved Outback, 79 AMC Eagle look familiar?
Toyota MR2 came after the Pontiac Fierro. Chrysler Minivans were the first of thier kind. Saturn were one of the first to have plastic skin and styrofoam casting technology. Buick put a V-6 turbo motor in the cutlass body, then came the Typhoon and Cyclone. I could go on and on about both Asian, European and US car manufactures that invented, employed or tried a mix of new things. As far as reliabilty goes, I would have never bought the Subaru SVX based on reliability. If reliability is the case, I wouldn't have bought this car at all, becuase I can tell I don't think this car could make it to Indiana for an annual meet although I bet for under the 3,000 I paid, I could of bought a 92 model US car that would easily get to Indiana. I bought it because I applaud Subaru for taking a chance and building something different, just like I did the Ford Mustang SVO, remember that car a turbo charged I-4 that could hang with a Porche 944 turbo. I just read an artical earlier this year how US car companies were closing the gap on reliability compared to Asian cars, and the Europeans took last place. The arguement there could because the Asian cars are being built in the US. But they also employ workers that don't have the same benifits as the UAW workers, so thier cheaper labor allows them to invest heavier in the quality of manufacturing. And guess what, the Chinese are doing the same thing to the Japanese motorcycle manufactures as the Japanese car manufacturers did to the US car manufacturers. They can do it with cheaper labor then invest in better advertisement and better engineering. Are US companies arrogant, sure they are, but no more arrogant then the Japanese are to the Chinese, or the Germans to the French. I could debate you on and on, but now I have to take my lack of knowledge on the big road so I can debate with other truckers who makes a better motor, Detroit, Cat's, Cummins, Volvo's, or Mercedes?
FYI the average Japanese auto worker makes more than the average UAW makes so don't blame it on labor unions my friend. So what other GT/Quasi sports car from the early 90s is more reliable at 150k? They all have their issues but overall the SVX is darn reliable and has been since day one. How many Vette's out there have 200k w/o an engine rebuild or top end rebuild? How about Mitsu 3000s? Like it or not a sports based car will not be as reliable as a economy based sedan.

Never saw a SVO hand with a 944 anywhere there were turns btw. I guess the steering wheel was optional on 'em.