View Single Post
Old 11-26-2006, 05:21 PM

Registered SVX
Quote:
Originally Posted by oab_au
You can get any solenoid and by turning it on/off, the armature will do full travel. As you turn it on/off faster, you get to a point where you notice that the armature will not do the full travel, it is reducing as the frequency is increasing. There is a point where the armature will stop moving and just sit there exerting the same pressure on the return spring, and if increased too high, the armature will return to the rest position.

Harvey.
N.B. I am unable to get to a point where I can notice the impossible. i.e. Quote, "There is a point where the armature will stop moving and just sit there exerting the same pressure on the return spring".
The only valid issue raised and one which should be noted is, quote - " and if increased too high, the armature will return to the rest position."

However let us assume by way of stupidity, that the theory was possible in practice.

1. The voltage/current of the control signal must be held and remain ABSOLUTELY constant.

2. The frequency of the control signal must be held and remain ABSOLUTELY constant. (An atomic clock would be in order.)

3. The spring pressure must remain ABSOLUTELY constant, even though huge differences in temperature will occur.

4. All mechanical factors affecting friction and or the return load must remain ABSOLUTELY constant.

5. Any fluid involved in the exertion of a return load must remain ABSOLUTELY constant in respect of, viscosity, temperature and applied pressure.

6. There must be ABSOLUTELY no wear during the operating life of the components directly or even indirectly involved.

7. There can be ABSOLUTELY NO TOLERANCE in respect of the manufacture of the required components. This requirement must apply in respect of every component involved, electrical, electronic and mechanical.

8. Assembly must remain ABSOLUTELY uniform throughout a production schedule, involving unspecified time and changing physical conditions.

To sum up. --- Every variable must remain constant, as designed and installed, to an infinite degree. Any one contingency as above renders the theory ABSOLUTELY impossible and in fact stupid.

N.B. ---- Item 1. as above.

The application raised by the originator of this thread involves the SVX transmission. The control circuit contains an ABSOLUTE variable in the form of the resistor circuit. It is confirmed that the transmission has been run with this circuit disconnected and or varied, by changing the resistance, e.g. with the shift kit installed. Are we to assume that the Harvey Hairy Fairy waves a magic wand ?

As a child, on cold mornings I gladly stood in cowpats to warm my bare feet, but I detest bull$hit!