Thread: Gear box
View Single Post
Old 06-01-2002, 07:48 PM
Subaru Gold Contributor

Significant Technical Input Registered SVX
Quote:
Originally posted by kuoh
The link didn't work, but opening the main site and browsing the archives worked. Also, I couldn't view any of the PDFs in IE, had to save to the HD and open with Acrobat. Still, they have lots of great info on that site! I'm gonna try and acrhive some of that info on the HD for future reference in case the site goes away.

But back to what you said about solenoid A, do you think the high temperatures could have any effect on noticing the flaring? It is usually not as noticeable, if at all, when the tranny is below 160. I wonder if anyone here has actually adjusted the band on the SVX and can attest to its inaccessibility? Afterall, the recommended procedure for plug replacement has you going through the fender holes but it's not absolutely necessary.

KuoH
I though you would have been under there and have done the job all ready , you should be able to do the band adjustment and I'm sure there is an easier way.
As you would know hot oil is thinner that cold. It leaks out of the shafts and grooves that distribute it through the box easier than cold, so pressure is lower. The TCU has no idea of what the pressure is, it has no sensor for this. The TCU sends the signal that is written in it's look up tables to the A solenoid, then hopes every will work as planed and the pressure at the band servo will be right
Higher trans temperatures, would say to me that either, the cooler is ineffective or the torque converter is working overtime, multiplying torque and producing excess heat.
Do you drive in D around town?. Third is much easier on all things, the box is locked as a unit no gears working, input and out put shafts locked together, overall ratio dropped from 2.5 in D to 3.7, Pump runs faster, cooling is greater, torque converter heat is lower, hey even the much maligned alternator out put is higher.
I see the problem, as the way the TCU program has been written, to suit the car design of a Grand Tourer. Smooth sliding shifts so that the change is not noticeable.
I am a bit hesitant to mention this but. I would like to see somebody change the TCU, for one out of the same year model Impressa or Legacy, I doubt these would have the same program as the SVX, having less power, the shifts would have to be sharper to save performance. They are the same box with a few mods, the TCU should be interchangeable between the same year models. This would be easier on the box for people who don't use it as a Grand Tourer but as a commuter.
Anyhow that is the way I see it.
Harvey.

95 Lsi. Bordeaux Pearl, Aust. RHD.149,000Kls Subaru BBS wheels.
97 Liberty GX Auto sedan. 320,000Kls.
04 Liberty 30R Auto Premium. 92.000kls.