View Single Post
Old 10-18-2006, 08:03 PM
SVX Appeal

Smoke show pictures will be delayed due to traction control problems.

I'm not ready to swear to it yet, but I'm pretty sure the SVX has an electronic traction control system of some sort. Unless the car is rolling, I can only get about three seconds of tire spin. It appears to be applying the brakes.

I tried doing a brake stand today. The first thing I noticed is that the rear differential is effectively an open diff. Unless the rear tires have an exactly equal traction surface, one tire spins. ...at first. The next thing that happens is that the car makes these 'grinding' noises and my pedal quivers slightly, like the ABS is kicking in. A second later, the other tire starts to spin and the first tire begins to slow down. At three seconds, both tires come to a complete and abrupt stop. The engine also seems to lose power, but it's really hard to tell with any certainty.

On some cars, braking takes precedent over traction control so applying the brakes effectively disables the traction control system. I wish the ABS light would flash when it was active, like the 'Power' light does for the transmission. If I get really wild, I can trigger an ABS warning light by doing 360s and J-turns and such. The light will stay on until I restart the engine. Also, when I trigger the light, the ABS does not function. The brake stands don't seem to be quite as upsetting.

I'm simultaneously pleased and disappointed. It looks like there's more work to be done before I get rowdy with the rear.

Last edited by UberRoo; 10-18-2006 at 08:09 PM.