View Single Post
Old 10-18-2006, 03:21 PM
Have a poncho I can borrow?

Quote:
Originally Posted by mohrds
So, while everyone is stuck on racing techniques, I'm more interested in daily driving. The issue I have to deal with is commuter traffic. You have to stay on the tail of the car in front of you so no one will wedge in front of you while staying far enough back as to be able to out stop the car ahead.

Doing multiple 50MPH to standstill for minutes at a time leaves deposits on the rotors and is giving the "Warped rotor" feel after only a few months. I have always used Subaru pads and rotors because they are relatively cheap and I don't have to deal with parts people behind the counter. I try to have the new rotors turned before installation as the are never truly "true" out of the box. I do a proper bedding by slowing to a coast several times, raise speed, repeat, etc. No engaged brakes on a stationary warm disc during the process, yet the harsh commuter traffic is awful on the brakes.

What would anyone suggest as far as pads that leave the least deposits?

Doug
Ceramics will leave the least and be the best on the rotors (barring some of the high cost alternatives that aren't good for street usually to begin with). Organics will leave a ton but are also good on the rotors. Semi-metallics are in between as for dust but are not so nice on the rotors.

Where do you get your rotors tured Doug? Might want to take 'em to an actual machine shop and ask if they can tell you how much the are off on each. A lot of places will simply take a rotor grind it down to flat rather than even check to see if its bad. It wouldn't suprise me if it has more to do with dirty calipers, pins and sticking pads then the rotors as it happens quite often esp. with OEM style dust makers.