View Single Post
Old 10-17-2006, 05:31 PM
SVX Appeal

Quote:
Originally Posted by Earthworm
Now UberRoo insists on running his wheels on the opposite sides...perhaps that's why he's having issues with his brakes?
Haha! Interesting theory.

It would probably be more useful if we quantified the actual performance of our brakes. As I recall, if I do consecutive 0 - 100 - 0 runs, the first two are fine, but number three brings on a bit of fade for the last twenty MPH, and number four starts to fade around fifty. That more than doubles my stopping distance. (It may be run four and five that I start to experience fade. I don't remember.) Overall, they're damn good brakes. I'm certainly impressed with them, but I wouldn't trust them with a more powerful motor.

I think I must be punishing my brakes with more demanding conditions. After twenty minutes of hundred-plus straights and late braking for corners at half the speed, the occasional dead stop (or near stop) from a buck-twenty is just too much. The brakes will effectively knock fifty MPH off the end of the dial, but that last fifty is a hard sell.

If I just throttle off early and coast into the next corner, I rarely have to brake at all, but I lose ten or twenty from my top speeds. After the first five minutes, I back off because I know I won't be able to stop if I need to. If being able to come to a complete stop in an emergency wasn't a concern, I probably wouldn't be complaining. In situations where my top speeds are under ninety, fade is rarely an issue.

My fluid is fresh and doesn't boil, and I'm using metallic pads, which have a pretty high heat tolerance. Perhaps I can find nicer pads, but of course every manufacturer claims their product is the best. I haven't seen any evidence that the Axxis pads are any better than brand-X, but I acknowledge their popularity could be indicative of their performance, and not just their aggressive marketing. My current pads are definitely superior to the original equipment pads. I may look a little harder at my pad options when I finally grind this set down.

Carbon disks and pads with a brake multiplier would be a nice, albeit expensive, solution.

I can dream...