View Single Post
Old 08-28-2006, 04:13 PM
Not as old as Randy

Significant Technical Input
I was in a rush this morning and may have come across terse, but the facts remain.

The 'rubber' parts are the least of your worries.

Find a hydrocarbon that isn't hygroscopic. Ever hear of scotch and water? Bourbon and branch water? Gas Dry? (alcohol that absorbs moisture from fuel?)

Steel components that aren't subject to wear will probably be o.k. but parts that endure wear - camshafts, wrist pins, blah, blah, blah will catch hell.

Every manufacturer that has vehicles designed for E85 specifically states so. I don't know of, and doubt the existence of, any OEMs that don't specifically state that E85 should not be used in any of their vehicles not designed specifically for its use. It is a selling point. I know for certain that Fords so designed have small square emblems with a green tree branch that winds off into the horizon, like a road, that denote their ethanol capable cars and trucks. I also know they spent several years in testing in south america before they were brought to market here, a number of years ago. I also know there was a heckuva lot more involved in their development than changing a few hoses... not to mention the cars' own ability to figure out what fuel it is operating on.