View Single Post
Old 08-26-2006, 08:42 PM
Just some dude.

Significant Technical Input
It's my understanding that after the fuel shortages in the late 70's when they did mix ethanol into the gasoline despite vehicles having some materials with incompatiblities in them that in the 80's US regulations were modified requiring auto manufacturers to make all vehicles for US markets ethanol compatible. It's probably an excellent idea to change those antique hoses anyway. Both Dayco and Gates fuel injector hose are multi fuel compatible--they have been for over a year.

On the note of probable fuel efficiency with E85 in a propperly tuned SVX: It does require about 30% more E85 by volume to attain the propper afr; however, that does not mean that your fuel efficiency will go down 30%. I think it's interesting and worth pointing out that with the stage 1v4 software we increased the fuel injected by 12% and didn't see any decrease in fuel economy because the resultant power improvement gave us something back for our 12%. It's not exactly the same situation with the E85 because 30% is a lot more than 12% and because that 30% is consistent even under light loads; however, we can expect the significant performance improvements we will see with E85 to lessen the impact on mileage very nicely.

Really what it comes down to in my mind is that the SVX engine is barely able to operate with US premium unleaded and would really prefer a higher octane fuel. E85 is 105 octane and is basically a better fuel for the SVX in every way. In fact the higher mass of E85 injected benifits performance by increasing cooling. The increased mass caries the heat from the combustion chamber out the exhaust.

Besides being superior for a stock svx engine the burning characteristics and increased mass of the E85 fuel charge should prove an amazing improvement for forced induction which has even higher dynamic compression.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bobb
Hi LAN, Its my understanding that if a vehicle is not piumbed to take E85 in the fuel system that E85 will "eat" the hoses, gaskets, etc. And because of the reduced BTU's in E85 you will get about 30% less fuel mileage. Also I don't know what effect E85 will have, long term, on our plastic gas tanks. Take card, BOBB