Thread: sort of O/T
View Single Post
Old 05-09-2002, 01:05 AM
I_Alcyone_I

sort of O/T

this was quoted from another automotive forum:

Lamborghini Portofino
The year was 1988. The Viper hadn't been shown yet. There was no Intrepid. And LH wasn't even recognized as "Last Hope" yet. In fact, the most exotic offering Chrysler had was Lamborghini that Lee Iacocca stood proudly beside when "he liked the car so much, he bought the company". What a leader!

What's the Story?

The Portofino featured trademark Lamborghini gull-wing doors (the rears opened in suicide fashion) and a new 3.5L 225 hp 24v V6 engine powering all four wheels. The tires were 225/50-16 (wide at that time...).

Although the concept never became a Lamborghini production vehicle, it clearly influenced future Chrysler styling. The Chrysler Design Studio concept clearly foreshadowed the cab-forward theme for the 1993 LH cars, especially the Intrepid.

But other features of this car also came to to reach more humble production models.

Sharp eyes will look at the headlights and instantly recognize them ... as foglights that were later used on the 1989 Daytona Shelby or Spirit ES. I'm sure some of you may think it's odd for me to look for things like this ... but surely there's someone out there who cares...

And what about that interior design? Doesn't it look similar to the redesigned interior on the 1990 Daytona & LeBaron? Notice especially the instrument pod, which housed the light switches, wipers, fog lamps and - yes - even the turn signal indicator, just like the Daytona & LeBaron.

As for the window-within-a-window treatment? Only the Subaru SVX decided to put that into a regular production car ... unsuccessfully.

There is a great story surrounding this car. While being transported, the semi-truck hauling the million-dollar concept vehicle was involved in an accident and the Portofino was "written-off". But it was put back together piece by piece until it was in "better condition" than before the accident.

Where is the Portofino Now?

The Portofino's new home is parked upstairs at the Walter P. Chrysler Museum in Auburn Hills, Michigan.
http://www.pinnaclecda.com/DaimlerCh...0Portofino.htm
Pics here

notice in the middle where they mention the "unsuccessful" SVX. If you look at the link its disgusting to think they even tried to relate the svx to it.

Last edited by I_Alcyone_I; 05-09-2002 at 01:09 AM.