View Single Post
Old 04-19-2006, 01:01 PM
Bipa

Actually, Italy is starting to crack down on driving infractions. It probably is as a result of the EU membership. But I still shake my head when Italians pass me on narrow curvy roads in the Italian Alps. The SVX is wider than most European cars, even wider than many trucks here. But those Italians don't care and will pull right out into the left lane even when they can't see oncoming traffic. Simply crazy!

When I was in Istanbul, I actually looked for working traffic lights. They have lots of them, but I think all the bulbs are burnt out or something. I finally found ONE light that seemed to be working, but only on one side. The other direction lights stayed dark all the time!

Here in Germany I kinda like what they do. Later in the evening and all through the night, many traffic lights are set to flashing amber, meaning proceed cautiously but don't have to necessarily stop. Then early in the morning they get turned back into regular mode. Where a smaller road meets a larger road that stays busy into the night, they'll make the traffic light on the smaller road flash red so main traffic can just zip right through while those coming from the smaller road have the equivalent of a stop sign. It seems to work really well.