Jersey Girl
Alcyone Gold Contributor

Send a message via Skype™ to svxistentialist
Registered SVX
Manu knighted?

Quote:
Originally Posted by b3lha
Joe,

The JDM and Euro TCUs are probably the same hardware, but the software is different. Pin 4 signals the TCU to change shift maps. On a Euro TCU, you ground pin 4 to enable Economy mode. On a JDM car, you ground pin 4 to enable Power mode.

There are two ways you can make a power switch on a car with a Euro TCU:

1) Mess with the TPS signal as per the FAQ.
2) Swap in a JDM TCU and then remove the bulb from the Econ light on the dash. This will make your Econ switch into a Power switch. AFAICT the JDM TCU should work fine with the Euro transmission.

Phil.

Phil

This Euro Economy mode has me flummoxed. I've always felt that the software has only two shift maps. One would be Power, which moves the change up points higher in the rev range, and also lets the box kick down more easily. I'm presuming the latter is controlled by reading the speed of voltage change at the TPS, and "allowing" kick-down to happen for gentler shoves on the gas.

The other mode would be Normal or Standard, the one which changes to higher gears way too fast, and clings on to them until you wallop the carpet with the gas pedal.

So can anyone tell me what does Econ mode do, or what is it? Can they possibly make it any slower, or any less responsive, than Normal mode?

Now, the purpose of the Manu button, that makes sense, and I can understand it. It's designed to get the car out of slippery or mucky conditions. It locks out first, and it optimises the highest torque to the wheels, at whichever gear gives lowest revs, to prevent wheelspin.

Could it be that the Econ mode we have in European cars is actually a variant of Manu, possibly with 1st gear allowed a look in?

And does this mean that there are actually three shift maps, Power, Normal and Manu/Econ?? Answers on a postcard please......

Joe
White X2 RVR Mitsubishi 1800GDI. Vantastic

40,000 miles Jersey Girl