View Single Post
Old 03-15-2006, 08:05 PM
Just some dude.

Significant Technical Input
The reason I say it is a 45 degree angle line is because the output of air is 1 rise over one run which is a 45 degree angle line. If you turn the input shaft twice you get twice as much air, if you turn it three times you get 3 times as much air. Now if you wanted to play with the scales you could certainly make the line look like something other than 45 degrees. The HP plot with the positive displacement blower is the result of combusting just about the same amount of air with each revolution by whatever the rpms and thus results in the same upward sloping straight line. Stretch the scale to make it whatever angle you want it to be but it's still a straight upward sloping line not a curve like on the na engine.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SpoonChucker
I have been reading this thread and the Stage III thread and seen repeated references to a magic 45 degree line.

“On a side note, that is why all of the dyno plots of engines with the whipple super charger are a 45 degree angle line.”

“Again this is why engines with positive displacement blowers have a power plot that is a 45 degree line which matches the blowers aircharge output.”

I think you are trying to say that the inlet and outlet volumetric flow rates are 1:1 for any rpm, but to say that the power curve with respect to rpm forms a 45 degree line is purely coincidental. First of all the units are not the same (hp and rpm) so it is impossible to claim that the power output is 1:1 with respect to engine speed. The fact the plots supplied by Whipple form a 45 degree line, is simply a product of the scaling. By changing the scale I can claim that the line is a 60 degree angle.