Thread: Help!!
View Single Post
Old 02-19-2006, 05:51 PM
Subaru Gold Contributor

Significant Technical Input Registered SVX
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jonesy
Hey guys
Today, after driving for about 3 minutes, I stopped and went to make a u-turn. When i did this the power steering stopped working, and the whole dash board (steering light/check engine/etc.) all lit up and then went away again. I have a had a power steering leak for a month or so, but it has never gone empty. I replaced the o-ring but that did nothing. I think it may be in one of the lines. I am just curious as to if anyone has ever had this happen? And what would the flashing of the lights indicate? I checked the fluid in the pump and it seems to be at a good level (I topped it off just for safe measure.) I have turned off the car, and left it for about 2 hours, started it up and turned the wheel (while stationary) and the same thing happened - power steering cuts out and the dash board lights up.

Any suggestions would be appreciated.
thanks
Jonesy
Gid'ay Jonesy, the belt that drives the power steering and the alternator may be loose. When you load it up by turning the wheel, it slips, to reduce the steering power and alternator charge, to bring on the dash lights.

Thats unless the crank pulley is separating.

Harvey.

95 Lsi. Bordeaux Pearl, Aust. RHD.149,000Kls Subaru BBS wheels.
97 Liberty GX Auto sedan. 320,000Kls.
04 Liberty 30R Auto Premium. 92.000kls.