View Single Post
Old 04-23-2002, 10:30 PM
Not as old as Randy

Significant Technical Input
I know where you're coming from on the 'two tire' warranty claim. I'd shoot for four, but unless there's an exact, verbatim clause stating that they will do that, I'd say you're chances are nil, at best.

Shaving tires (other than for race cars) has all but disappeared. The last time I saw any equipment for shaving tires was in the late '70s, a machine called 'Auto-Match System'. It also used a load roller that determined run-out and then timed a panel that threw two rasps forward and shaved the edges of the tires at their high points. The reasoning was that any offset would be transmitted up the shoulder of the tire, that any offset in the middle of the tire would be absorbed by tread flex. I think it worked o.k., but the machines were never sold, only leased and when the company went belly-up the machines were yanked back by the creditors, or so we were told. I've never seen one of them since, kinda makes you wonder where they all went...

.030" seems kind of trivial, I've seen many tires mounted that exceed that much many times over without causing problem. Stranger things have happened though...

The machine will give the operator a set of marks to go by, one for the wheel and one for the tire. Then the tire is deflated and the beads broken (on a tire machine.) The tire is then rotated on the wheel until the marks line up and re-inflated. Put the tire/wheel combo back on the machine and start over.