View Single Post
Old 01-30-2006, 09:54 AM
Have a poncho I can borrow?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chiketkd
Ben,

I re-checked my owners manual and it definitely says synthetic oil within the recommended weights (5W-30 or 10W-30) is fine to use in any Impreza engine (2.5i, WRX & STI).

I also heard on WRX forums that synthetic oil is almost 'needed' in the turbo engines if you plan on doing any kind of racing as they run hotter by nature. The oil lines which run around the turbo and are used to cool it, get extremely hot and can cause regular oil to break-down very quickly. However, synthetic oil is much more resistant to these hot temps and will better cool the turbo and lubricate the engine!

-Chike

From my limited knowledge its the opposite as to above. Sythetic better at cold temps then regular. Not sure about the opposite. I know that for highway driving studies have shown that regular oil was a better lub then sythetic as it "stuck" better but who did the studies I don't know. I just remember reading it somewhere that was somewhat rep.

Oh and I did just check. Its 3k for that 1st oil change. Much easier online then the book.

Last edited by benebob; 01-30-2006 at 09:59 AM.