View Single Post
Old 01-30-2006, 09:37 AM
Row faster...I hear banjos!!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by benebob
A service bulletin I think he said. I've know him since I got my first Subaru at 16 something like 15 years ago now and he's not the kind of guy to force something down your throat. Even told my mom not to get her 60k service done at 60k aside from the tranny fluid. Told her to wait until the 75-90k mark for the t belt and all as that's a better time to replace the seals to get a reasonable life out of it all. I did call the two other area service managers and they both said the same thing. Best to wait until around the 10k mark for long term durablity of the vehicle. I've also hear that before and when I posted about it Mike Davis also said that Kerven wouldn't do it until about 10k either if I remember correctly. I'm quite conservative myself when it comes to auto car. Still change everything at the 3k mark regardless of anything (except my SVX which gets its oil done annually at the 200 mark ). Then again my vehicles sit for a week at a time so 3k to me is closer to the 4.5-6month time frame depending on usage.

Seriously I'd check around, Call that dealer today!, of course if you're not planning on keeping it past say 80k then it really doesn't matter, you'll just screw the next owner just like 1/2 the WRXs are gonna do anyways. Won't be pretty in 5 years to see what happens to the reliablity record of Subaru I'm guessing with so many Solberg wanna-be's out there driving like rally drivers in a car that isn't even close to the real thing for that kind of beating.

Oh yeah and another thing. I hope they extended your bumper to bumper and 60k service by 2400 miles as they can and should do that provided the car is being sold as a new (untitled) car which it should be. If they didn't call that Business manager and get it done! Its just paperwork for most manufactures so of course they don't do it unless you force the issue but it should be done now as opposed to at 36.1k when a piece of trim breaks.
I bought the car as a brand new untitled car. I'm not interested in having my warranty extended (even another 2K miles) as my car will be out of compliance after 1 year of ownership. That's also the reason why I didn't get the 100K extended factory warranty - just no point with the plans I have for the car.

I don't think I'll be screwing anyone who owns my car in the future, but with that said, it's my car and I'll maintain in the best way I see fit. While an engine is still breaking in within the first 5-10K miles, regular dino oil only needs to be used for the first 1K miles to properly break in the cams, seals, etc. The factory oil was in my car for over 2K miles and with the additives in Mobil 1, I know she'll be fine for many years to come.

Ben, you keep bringing up the advice of different service techs/managers (and 1 possible TSB), however, show me one WRX owner who's had a 'stock' engine damaged as a result of using synthetic oil? They're several '02 owners with well over 100K miles and they've reported no issues. All I've been told is once you go synthetic, stay with synthetic which I shall...

-Chike

2013 Cosmic Blue 5spd Evo X GSR
2006 Galaxy Gray 6MT RX-8 (sold)
2006 Steel Gray WRX TR (sold)
1996 Brilliant Red SVX L (sold)