Thread: Intake Idea
View Single Post
Old 01-28-2006, 11:56 AM
XT6 is SVX's Daddy

Send a message via ICQ to Myxalplyx Send a message via AIM to Myxalplyx Send a message via Yahoo to Myxalplyx
Had some aluminum ducting in my garage so I cut it up to the shape I was drawing on the diagram. The aluminum will do for testing purposes to see how much power can be made. I'd rather smoother piping, silicone hoses with bends or a combo for the 2nd phase of testing since the aluminum ridges can cause turbulence but it will do for now. All I need is the 'Y' pipe connection and drill some holes in it for all the vacuum hoses to go to.

In the meantime (against popular demand), I found an adapter in my garage to the Maf sensor so I went to Autozone to pick up a large air filter. Yep, ghetto (Sorry Chike) but I want to see the airflow difference between this and the stock setup with the panel filter. I understand that airflow may be more at the cost of worst filtering. I also understand that even if filtering is the same or better that more hot air is not necessarily better than less cool air from outside the engine bay. I've been searching and searching but could not find evidence that it is necessarily worse, even though it makes sense that is 'should' be.

So I put the air filter on the Maf adapter I found and got this intake together. Air filter was $25.00 at Autozone (I saved the box and just misplaced it but I don't think anyone would want the part #). Fit is REALLY tight but functional. Drove around a little bit and it sounds really nice.

I need to stop by the dealership and pick up my items out of my RX turbo since it is R.I.P. If I'm not all dressy tonight, I'll do some G-Tech runs and test the difference between the two tonight. It is not the actual 1/4 mile time and mph that counts. It is the difference between the two that matters (if there is a difference). It will show if the hot air intake is bad and if so, how bad.

The surface area of the cone filter is larger than the STi panel air filter (not that that means anything right?). I had set the cone style air filter on top of one end of the STi air filter and rolled it to the other side. I started this with the Maf sensor being upright. By the time the roll was completely on the other side of the STi panel filter, the Maf sensor was almost to the bottom of the cone air filter. If the surface area was the same, I'd think it would have completed a whole roll before getting to the other side. Also, the cheapo filter has a hole on top of it (this is the only kind I'd use) allowing for even more airflow.

Remember, this is for more horsepower/torque no matter where in the power band. Of course the Maf is maxed out but it doesn't mean power can't be pushed to the max throughout the other parts of the power band. Ok, I'll shut up. I need to drive for a bit.

If my stupid Pocketlogger is working ok (Chike, I talked to you about this), I can get some air measurements and state the difference in lbs per hour between the stock intake with the STi panel filter and the El Cheapo Autozone filter. Sorry if this type of intake seems insulting Chike. I got to test these things out though.

Overall, I'm still waiting to get my hands on a 'Y' pipe to complete this intake for testing at the dyno. If anyone knows anywhere on the net where someone can get this type of fitting, please post or send me a PM. I don't care if it is made out of steel, aluminum, silicone, hard rubber, etc, as long as it can be modified to fit the vacuum hoses to, to make it run. Ok, I'm done! My current setup is below:

Hey, doesn't someone make an intake like this already? Also, what is the curb weight of your car Chike? I need to be able to put this in the G-Tech.
1996 3.3ltr SVX (AWD/Auto) 15.070@91.38mph
***R.I.P***
2010 RAV4 AWD Sport (13.717 @ 99.19mph )
2015 Honda Fit LX CVT (15.2 @ 90mph)

Last edited by Myxalplyx; 01-28-2006 at 12:00 PM.