View Single Post
Old 01-21-2006, 11:55 AM
Just some dude.

Significant Technical Input
Bill,

I would most likely not reduce the minimum pulse width. If it's rich during the stall it's because there isn't enough air not because there is too much fuel. In this case the dashpot is needed. There is a minimum amount of air and fuel needed to keep the engine running. You can't just cut fuel to match not enough air and expect it to run. If it is lean during stall I will increase the minum pulse width and the problem will be fixed. This could also easily be the problem. In other cars it often is. If my car had a manual transmission I would answer this question on day 1 but it doesn't so one of those who does will have to try the dashpot.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SVXRide
Michael,
Thanks for the quick response! I'm inclined to agree with Tom on the stalling issue - the engine control system is set up to work with an automatic trans and its inherent hydraulic "lag". Once you swap in the manual trans you lose that aspect of the overall control loop. I like your idea of reducing the pulse width as a way of addressing this.
It is curious that Tom's 6 spd doesn't stall. I don't know exactly how the 5spd varies from the 6 spd, but I'm guessing the 5spd transmissions don't have as much rotational mass...
-Bill (walking out to the garage to install a 2v5 chip....)