View Single Post
Old 12-24-2005, 03:16 PM
Subaru Gold Contributor

Significant Technical Input Registered SVX
Quote:
Originally Posted by -JJ-
Thanks everyone

especially harvey! In regards to the band, i have heard it can be replaced with aftermarket ones with better gripping materials, this was for toyota boxes, can the same be done here or is there more to it?

the atf is discoloured a little, smells like crap as always, but not burnt

Also i was wondering if someone could explain what high clutch failure actually means
We are a lot better off here Jake, we have a lot of very good auto rebuilders, that have done a lot of Subaru boxs. There may well be better facings advailable, as they are used in the Nissan box as well.

With the lockers out, I can't post picts, but the sequence is.The forward clutch is on for first, the band is applied for 2nd, the band is released and the high clutch is applied for 3rd, to get 4th the band is applied again. As you have lost the high clutch, 3/4, it goes back to 2nd, when the high clutch slips.

I have only heard of two other Euro models that have lost the high clutch. Phils in UK and one in France. I be interested to know what was the cause, was it due to flakey linings or low line pressure.

Harvey.

95 Lsi. Bordeaux Pearl, Aust. RHD.149,000Kls Subaru BBS wheels.
97 Liberty GX Auto sedan. 320,000Kls.
04 Liberty 30R Auto Premium. 92.000kls.