View Single Post
Old 12-15-2005, 08:44 PM

Send a message via AIM to kuoh
I drove out after an ice storm years back where just the crown of the road was enough to start the car sliding towards the gutters and the SVX acquitted itself quite well, especially considering it was only equipped with well used all season tires. Getting started wasn't a problem, but you had better know well in advance where you wanted to slow down and turn or stop. I saw many many vehicles slide through red lights and stop signs that morning and was lucky enough not to be rear ended or T-boned. Driving on ice takes planning, patience and a good bit of luck, because even if you manage to avoid running into something, you still have to worry about other cars running into you.

Honestly, I doubt any other 90's ABS system designed in the 80's would cope any better on pure ice. I'd have to wonder if even todays ABS systems would show much improvement on ice? Unless it is augmented by some sort of inertial or radar sensor, just relying on wheel speed sensors alone probably isn't going to be reliable enough.

KuoH

Quote:
Originally Posted by POWER on demand
oh and by the ABS sucks and makes the car wanna skid more...