View Single Post
Old 09-29-2005, 10:11 AM
SVXist Pig

Yes, HOWEVER...

I have a 92 that's on a rebuilt transmission and the rebuilt is dying. I'm guessing the rebuilt transmission will cost $1500 - 2000 + labor, right? Will they give you a warranty? How long and what does it cover, deductible, etc?

People here seem to be having good luck by replacing their SVX transmissions (tight tolerances, overly high 3.545 final drive gearing, poor cooling passages - all especially true for 1992 cars) with 4.11 or 4.44 geared transmissions from other 1990's Subaru cars. This would also require the purchase of a rear differential to match of course, but it seems that the overall cost of simply dropping in a used tranny and diff can be significantly cheaper than buying a rebuilt SVX tranny and then going through the same problems in a couple of years.

I'm currently in the market for a 4.44 trans and diff. Users here have reported much quicker performance (obviously) and excellent durability. Since the guts are turning quicker, fluid moves faster and keeps things cooler. Also, the lower gear ratio puts less stress on everything - like climbing a hill on a bicycle using the easy, quick spinning gears rather than the hard, slow turning gears. The downside is reduced fuel economy.

Just my thoughts. svxfiles has extensive knowledge of this topic, as do numerous others here.

Last edited by Fuzz541; 09-29-2005 at 10:20 AM.