View Single Post
Old 09-19-2005, 01:43 PM
Ever Vigilant He Never Sleeps.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rotorflyr
Can this be done in reverse? Im actually running into a similar problem with my desktop where it starts the boot-up sequence and then just keeps booting up over and over, but won't actually start up and I want to make sure I have all the pics n stuff I want that are on it burned to disks....The I figure I'll wipe the drive and reinstall the OS (maybe play around with some version of Linux, who knows......)
i'm not sure i follow what you're asking rotorflyr.

since it's your desktop, you don't actually need an ide to micro-ide adapter. you can plug that bad boy right up to any other ide connector on another desktop (unless it's a sata drive and the other box/pc doesn't have sata connectivity). you may want to make sure that you have the jumper set to the proper position (master/slave) so that the motherboard bios will be able to detect the device.

i'd recommend EW's approach...buy a USB external harddisk box/case/caddy to transfer your info over....unless you have like 80gbs...USB's great and all, but when you have alot of data to move, it'll take some time.

of course another option is to move it via network by using a knoppix boot up disk, mounting the harddrive, setting up the network & client to access whatever operating system you want to connect to, and copy the data over the network.....or making knoppix burn dvd/cd's of the data you want out of it.....

there's many ways of doing the same thing.

when you say it keeps running the booting sequence, what exactly is it doing? while loading windows? or before windows is loading?

Last edited by Noir; 09-19-2005 at 01:46 PM.