View Single Post
Old 09-05-2005, 01:35 PM
SVX Appeal

Sealed boxes are popular because they're usually smaller. That doesn't mean they're always better and a design that gives nearly equal sealed-type performance is not always smaller. Ported boxes are often used because you can really make them wail, but not in every application. I have a ported enclosure that barely hits at all, but it easily produces sub-sonics - very low frequencies. There's just too many variables.

Broad statements about what enclosures work best are kinda iffy. The design of the speaker, the size of the amplifier, and of course the design of any type of enclosure can turn everything on it's head. Generally, the documentation that comes with the speakers will specify the optimal enclosure. Certain ported or sealed enclosure will give your subs a sweet spot. There are calculators that can tell you what enclosures will give you a particular type of performance. They’re tricky to manipulate, but some time spent researching it can really pay off. I think a ported enclosure would probably be the best in your case, but I wouldn't know for sure without running the numbers. It's easier to just ask the manufacturer.

One thought: Make sure your box is tightly sealed. Any air leaks, even small ones, can really kill performance. I threw a box away because I couldn't find all the screw holes in it. I replaced it with another identical box (without leaks) that performed fantastically. It was an SPL box. I fed it an obscene amount of power and drove around with ear plugs in. It was a lot of fun for about a week, but I quickly cannibalized all the parts for other applications.